Professional Liability Insurance
- Professional Liability Insurance is required by paramedics to protect the public interest, regardless of whether paramedic care is received as part of services provided for by a regional health authority; contracted agency; service license holder, private company, or volunteer role.
Professional Liability insurance requirements are found in The Regulated Health Professions Act (RHPA) in section 222(1). This section states A Council may make regulations…. (respecting professional liability insurance or coverage, or other liability protection, for members and health profession corporations;)
The College of Paramedics of Manitoba regulation states in section 3.12, Insurance 3.12(1) A member who holds a certificate of practice must (a) hold a policy of professional liability insurance of an approved type and providing coverage to the member to a minimum of $5 million for each occurrence or claim; and (b) promptly notify the registrar if they are no longer covered by the required liability insurance. 3.12 (2) If the member is no longer covered by the required liability insurance, their certificate of practice is cancelled. At the time of notifying the registrar under clause (1)(b), the member must also promptly surrender the certificate of practice to the registrar
College policy requires paramedics to hold the certificate of professional liability insurance in their name. The insurance policy must provide coverage to a minimum of $5 million for each occurrence or claim. The insurance certificate must be current at the time of registration or renewal. Proof of the amount and type of insurance must be uploaded by the registrant in their College registration portal.
Paramedics may obtain liability insurance through a variety of mechanisms:
- A membership with the Paramedic Association of Manitoba:
- An associate membership with the Paramedic Association of Canada is required if the paramedic needs to be regulated in more than one Province AND there is no paramedic association in the province of primary residence: https://www.paramedic.ca/site/liability?nav=02
- LloydSadd Insurance Brokers
- By applying for insurance with other insurance companies who offer professional liability coverage for Paramedics