Effective December 1, 2020, all paramedics practicing in the province of Manitoba MUST be registered with the College of Paramedics.
During the registration process (November 18, 2020 – January 4, 2021), applicants will be required to choose the sub-register – or practice level–the certificate of practice will be issued under. Applicants must choose the sub-register that education and entry to practice examination documents will support. The sub-registers are:
- EMR Emergency Medical Responder
- PCP Primary Care Paramedic
- ACP Advanced Care Paramedic
- CCP Critical Care Paramedic
Please note that Intermediate-Care Paramedics will register as PCPs. They will have a notation on their certificate of practice indicating that they practice at the ICP level once they have uploaded the ICP verification form from their employer.
In addition, applicants must choose the class of their registration. Classes are:
- FULL — A registrant who will be issued a certificate of practice and must have current Professional Liability Insurance and participate in the Program for Continued Competency.
- NON-PRACTICING — A registrant who is not currently engaged in the practice of paramedicine, but who intends to become engaged in the practice of paramedicine at a later date. To be eligible, the registrant must establish that s/he has been on an extended leave from the practice of paramedicine due to a medical condition, a statutory leave, or a leave authorized by their employer or the council. Applicants must have current Professional Liability Insurance when returning to practice.
- TEMPORARY – A registrant who is eligible to be issued a certificate of practice for an authorized restricted purpose and a limited time period.
- RETIRED — A registrant who will not receive a certificate of practice and who does not intend to engage in the practice of paramedicine at a later date. Applicants for this class do not require Professional Liability Insurance, and are not required to participate in the Program for Continued Competency.